Tuesday, March 2, 2010

DIY: I think I feel like Korean















된장국! (Dwenjang-guk)

The staple soup for all Koreans. I've never cooked it, but there's no reason to delay the inevitable. All Koreans above the age of 25 must know how to cook it...It's the law

You can go plain jane (like mine above) or go crazy with it. It's what you make of it...most of the time. I used napa cabbage, green chili, tofu and those stringy mushrooms.

The stock is flavored with dried anchovies and obviously brown soy paste. To add a bit of spice, you can stir in some pepper paste or use kimchi instead of that boring unfermented stuff.

But there's 1 more ingredient I forgot to mention. Flour. Everyday, multi-purpose flour. It's my semi-educated guesss that it helps thicken the soup. No one likes a watery soy bean soup that's for sure~ :p


1 comment: